CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mbiten School

The other day Shayne and I had a meeting with what we thought was going to be the elders of the community that Mbiten school is in. This is the place where we hope to put a spring box in to help supply the school and community with water. Right now they have to walk through the bush almost 1 mile to get water. As we arrived we quickly saw it was more than just the elders it was about 50 people, men women and children. To my surprise the picture below was of them starting the meeting by wanting to pray!!! During these meetings most of the time every man gets a chance to stand up and say his part. There were only a couple in this one that stood up. Shayne as well as myself stood up and shared about what we would like to see happen with the water, they were all very much in agreement and happy. At one point I leaned over and asked Shayne " Do you ever just look around and think, here we sit out in the middle of a huge field in the scorching sun listening to a people that we cant even understand?" We both laughed and were happy we can help.
Some of the young children making the long hike to gather water.
This is a spring box done by one of the NGO's about 2 miles away from where we hope to do one for the school. This one does not work because of poor construction. It was full of frogs and snake skins as the water just runs underneath it.



4 comments:

Aunt Angie said...

Travis and Laura--I am a friend of Marsha---and she sent us an e-mail about the situation with Nanyu and her family...my heart broke.

I am sending money this week---I wish it could be more, but I know that God's power can stretch and make it go further!

Our prayers are with you all as you serve the Master in your calling.

Your friend from Florida,
Angie Knight

Marsha said...

I just can't get over how dried up everything is. Keep it up. I love you guys bunches!

Jennsmere said...

Hi Travis and Laura...I just stopped in to visit today. I am so touched by the photos you have shared! We have lived in Angola and also in Egypt (twice!) and know the depth of the poverty and physical challenges there.

I found you through sweet Marsha's blog...she is a precious sister in the Lord to me!

Be blessed,
Susan Baldwin

Kayla said...

Keep it up! Y'all are doing a whole lot to honor the Lord over there. I can't wait to see you guys again though!